[gst-devel] Error messages printed on console

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Feb 26 07:07:22 CET 2004

Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:

> Huh ? I'm not sure where this is your fault - the reason this happens is
> because GST_ELEMENT_ERROR has a GST_ERROR_OBJECT call.  I agree that it
> shouldn't print out errors by default, so I'm changing this to
> GST_WARNING_OBJECT instead.  Since an application can decide to recover
> from an error, it really shouldn't be treated as an error for debugging
> purposes.

It should print out errors by default on _developer_ builds. Which is what it
does. See configure.ac:

dnl define correct errorlevel for debugging messages. We want to have GST_ERROR
dnl messages printed when running cvs builds
if test "x$GST_CVS" = "xyes"; then
  AC_DEFINE(GST_LEVEL_DEFAULT, GST_LEVEL_ERROR, [Default errorlevel to use])
fi

You might want to download 0.7.4 to check that the release versions do not
print out anything.

And if you change the GST_ERROR_OBJECT to GST_WARNING_OBJECT you might want to
explain why you did this.
The documentation for GST_LEVEL_ERROR states:
"Error messages are to be used only when an error occured
that stops the application from keeping working correctly.
An examples is gst_element_error, which outputs a message with this priority.
It does not mean that the application is terminating as with g_errror."

Apart from having more spelling errors than usual docs, this states exactly
this case as an example. If you want to reduce this to a warning, you can then
tell me when an error message should be used if not in the error case.