[gst-devel] state of the union

in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Jan 8 09:03:01 CET 2004

Quoting "David I. Lehn" <dlehn at vt.edu>:

> * Julien MOUTTE <jmoutte at electronic-group.com> [2004-01-07T15:12:59-0500]:
> > So if we are about to put maintainers on plugins i raise my hand to
> > maintain : ximagesink, xvimagesink, libgstplay and switch.
> >

> Just keep in mind that other videosinks are available and (in theory?)
> they should be somewhat interchangable.  Or at least that's how users
> will probably see it.  Some coordination is needed between GstVideoSink,
> video related interface, and all the videosinks.

And keep in mind that interfaces are the application API while superclasses
are the element API.
So a desired size querying/signalling clearly belongs in an interface.
Triggering all this can be done from a superclass like GstVideoSink though. It
would probably also provide ways to do caps nego, clock synchronization and
other stuff I'm missing.

A videosink subclass would only need get_formats (see videofilter for how it's
done there), set_format and new_picture functions.

Benjamin