[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] company gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/gst/

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Sun Jan 11 10:48:01 CET 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> Log message is correct. ;). Can you please try to re-add the max. values
> (possibly somewhat larger, my limits where quite strict indeed, e.g. 2/5
> seconds and/or 5/10 MB) in there? I've added them to keep the amount of
> memory down in non-ideal cases (think security etc., worst-case scenario
> blabla). 250 raw full-PAL frames (think unsynced videotestsrc, RGB32)
> can get up to 450 MB, which sounds less than ideal to me...

The problem with that is that we currently easily get full queues (most
of the time the audio queue is full), because files are poorly interleaved
and we only buffer after decoding.

Hm...
Maybe we shouldn't limit the buffers, but the memory, that way we might
get around the most common problem of the audio queue being full.
I guess we need to experiment a bit with that. Does 10MB/no timelimit/no
bufferlimit (or a big bufferlimit) sound reasonable?

The ideal solution would be to set the defaults based on available memory
inside GstPlay, but even then you'd have to experiment to figure out the
correct values...

Benjamin