[gst-devel] Displaying widescreen video

William R Sowerbutts will at sowerbutts.com
Thu Jan 15 11:01:01 CET 2004

Hi everyone, thanks for the help with the ghost pads. I've got video streaming
nicely through my graph now, and I'm working on a filter to blend video
streams together.

I have another question. The video I'm working with is shot in anamorphic
16:9, which means that each frame is stored as a 720x576 pixel image, but must
be displayed at a resolution more like 1024x576.

When I feed the video to the sdlvideosink it displays it at 720x576. If I
resize the video overlay with my mouse to the correct aspect ratio it works
fine, but I'd rather have the image pop up in the correct aspect ratio
initially.

Obviously I don't want to rescale the image in software before passing it to
the video sink, because the hardware can do this job for me, along with the
colourspace conversion.

I've read through the source, but I can't see a way to pass the correct
dimensions through to the sdlvideosink. The GstVideoSink object can fire off a
"have_video_size" signal, but it appears that the intention of this is for the
sdlvideosink to signal to other objects, rather than the other way around.

Any hints would be appreciated ;)

Thanks,

Will

William R Sowerbutts                                  will at sowerbutts.com
Coder / Guru / Nrrrd                                http://sowerbutts.com
         main(){char*s=">#=0> ^#X@#@^7=",c=0,m;for(;c<15;c++)for
         (m=-1;m<7;putchar(m++/6&c%3/2?10:s[c]-31&1<<m?42:32));}