[gst-devel] The Quest for a scheduler

Christian Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Fri Jan 16 15:38:01 CET 2004

Hi guys,
Ok, though I check and hear what ideas you guys have for sorting out the
scheduler situation. Currently we have a lot of varied issued in this
field and I am not sure what we should do.

The current default opt, seems to be unable to handle video playback
with sound. Using it with gst-player or Totem I get hangs with mpegs and
avi gets very easily out of sync.

basicomega is something I understand many of you use successfully, but
it is still troubled with the same i686 issues that made us abandon it
in the first place.

basicgthread works for me for video playback, but seeking do not work
well at all in gst-player and Totem. When I move the slider it tends to
jump back to where I started, with only somtimes jumping to the place I
seeked after 7-8 seconds or so.

I also have an issue with many of my larger files that if I seek or
resize the screen audio and video gets out of sync at it takes 5-6
seconds at least before things get back in sync.

My guess we should use basicgthread as default if no-one fixes opt or
basicomega, but question is if the seeking is fixable using that?
Any input? I know everyone is busy doing a whole lot of fixes, but I
just need to know that we do have some sort of plan in the back of our
heads to sort stuff out before 0.8.0.

Christian