[gst-devel] The Quest for a scheduler

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Jan 19 04:56:00 CET 2004

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Christian Schaller wrote:

> The current default opt, seems to be unable to handle video playback
> with sound. Using it with gst-player or Totem I get hangs with mpegs and
> avi gets very easily out of sync.

This is because opt caches to much data in its "bufpens" which starves the
audio pipeline resulting in the time not advancing. (I'm not sure how to
fix this correctly...)

> basicgthread works for me for video playback, but seeking do not work
> well at all in gst-player and Totem. When I move the slider it tends to
> jump back to where I started, with only somtimes jumping to the place I
> seeked after 7-8 seconds or so.

This is not a scheduler issue but an issue with the queues used inside
GStreamer.

> I also have an issue with many of my larger files that if I seek or
> resize the screen audio and video gets out of sync at it takes 5-6
> seconds at least before things get back in sync.

This is about the queues, too.

> My guess we should use basicgthread as default if no-one fixes opt or
> basicomega, but question is if the seeking is fixable using that?
> Any input? I know everyone is busy doing a whole lot of fixes, but I
> just need to know that we do have some sort of plan in the back of our
> heads to sort stuff out before 0.8.0.

I haven't found a solution to the sync problem yet. If anyone wants to
work on that, be my guest. What is needed most atm is ideas.

You haven't tried optomega and optgthread :)

Benjamin