[gst-devel] The Quest for a scheduler

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Jan 19 05:14:02 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 13:54, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Christian Schaller wrote:
> > The current default opt, seems to be unable to handle video playback
> > with sound. Using it with gst-player or Totem I get hangs with mpegs and
> > avi gets very easily out of sync.
> This is because opt caches to much data in its "bufpens" which starves the
> audio pipeline resulting in the time not advancing. (I'm not sure how to
> fix this correctly...)

Afaik, this is because there are *no* queues in between. ques cache data
(so you've got 2-3 seconds data in case the pipeline stalls for a
moment). Without queues, there is no cache at all and the slightest
hickup will result in a hickup.

Queues ensure data caching and therefore a proper datarate between
elements.

Opt hardly uses bufpens - it only uses bufpens between loop<->loop
parts, and those don't occur much in normal pipelines... Basic uses
bufpens between each element...

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer