[gst-devel] int2float - float2int is broken?

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Jan 21 05:16:02 CET 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> El mar, 20-01-2004 a las 22:29, Shanat Krishnamurti escribió:
> > hello,
> >
> > i am having problems with the int2float plugin.

The problem is that float is an awkward format right now (see my recent
mail about the float stuff) and it requires one link per channel (ugh).

> > ------------------------------------
> > this doesnt
> > src ! mad ! int2float ! volume ! float2int ! osssink
>
> doesn't work because volume works on integer data and int2float serves
> float data.  volume can be made to work with float, but then someone
> needs to do it.

volume advertises float. So either volume is buggy in what it advertises
or it's buggy in what it does.

> > and when i do this:
> > src ! mad ! int2float ! ladspa-mbeq ! float2int ! osssink
> > i get this:
> > WARNING **: error scheduling group 0x81c1430
>
> Try with different schedulers and see what it gives (--gst-help should
> tell you how)
>
> > this make me tear my hair out, because i cannot figure out where the problems are.
>
> Well, apart from the last pipeline none of your previous ones actually
> do anything useful.  Maybe tell us what it is in the end you want to get
> to work ?

An equalizer. And I'm greatful he used simple pipelines to tell the
problem...

> >  why do we have to use ints anyway. cant everything be done internaly in float. simplify.

GStreamer is about supporting stuff in a modular way. This works by
writing simple elements that do one thing and do it well. People have
probably told that a hundred times to you in the last couple of days, so
why do I tell it again?
Because there are a lot of elements that are really easy to do with int
audio. Just as there are a lot of elements that are really easy to do with
float audio. If we had just picked one of those, one part of the element
writers would have a problem now.
But it's nice that you want to pass the problem to the int guys... ;)

BEnjamin