[gst-devel] gst-launch questions

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Wed Jan 21 19:06:01 CET 2004

Okay, I have a few more questions:

1.  How do I use the cdparanoia plugin and gst-launch to read an
arbitrary track from an audio CD?  The gst-launch man page says, "Using
gst-inspect-0.7(1), it is possible to discover settings for cdparanoia
that will tell it to rip individual tracks."  And gst-inspect cdparanoia
says:

Supports seeking/conversion/query formats:
                (3):    time (Time)
                (2):    bytes (Bytes)
                (1):    default (Default format for the media type)
                (6):    track (CD track)
                (7):    sector (CD sector)

But I can't figure out if this has any relevance for gst-launch.  I have
yet to look closely at the real gstreamer API, I'm trying to get a good
feel for things using gst-launch first.

2.  Why does vorbisenc seem picky about its input
but lame does not?  For example, vorbisenc seems to require
"audio/x-raw-int,width=16,endianness=4321,signed=TRUE,depth=16,rate=44100,channels=2"
but lame seems to require only "audio-x-raw-int."

3.  Where can I find a simple explanation of the output of gst-inspect
<element>?  I have figured out what much of the information means but
some of it has me confused.

Thanks once again.

--
Mike