[gst-devel] gst-launch questions

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Jan 22 04:12:00 CET 2004

Hi,

> 1.  How do I use the cdparanoia plugin and gst-launch to read an
> arbitrary track from an audio CD?  The gst-launch man page says, "Using
> gst-inspect-0.7(1), it is possible to discover settings for cdparanoia
> that will tell it to rip individual tracks."  And gst-inspect cdparanoia
> says:

I seem to recall you can't from gst-launch specifically.  Hope someone
corrects me if you can.

> 2.  Why does vorbisenc seem picky about its input
> but lame does not?  For example, vorbisenc seems to require
> "audio/x-raw-int,width=16,endianness=4321,signed=TRUE,depth=16,rate=44100,channels=2"
> but lame seems to require only "audio-x-raw-int."

Looking at gst-inspect, both rate and channels are ranges.  The other
ones are set because that's what the encoder takes.
As for lame, I get a whole list of possible sample rates.  Are you using
a 0.6 version ?

> 3.  Where can I find a simple explanation of the output of gst-inspect
> <element>?  I have figured out what much of the information means but
> some of it has me confused.

There isn't one, but if you have specific things you want to ask, feel
free.

Thomas

Cause baby ooh
if heaven calls I'm coming too