[gst-devel] tags and metadata

in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Jan 22 07:22:00 CET 2004

Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:

> Quoting examples like DRM'd files is a very bad way to make your point
> :)

That is a thing persons hacking on GStreamer tend to forget (and that Ronald
accused me of doing often enough btw): GStreamer is about weird examples only.
If I invent something that does work for 99% of the things we do, I'll sure as
hell get remarks from the other 1% of people that can't use this. So if you
advertise the "artist" entry as always editable, you'll get flocked by the
people that wrote the 'drmdec' element and the people that assumed it worked
for wma, too even though we don't have a tag changer there.

The same goes about your streaminfo/metadata distinction. All your examples
are for audio files only. This has to work for audio streams, video files,
video streams, DVDs, file compression, gst-sci or the file sharing client I
still plan to write using GStreamer. (This does not say such a distinction is
bad, it just says don't impklement it prematurely with the audio goggles on.)

Please keep this in mind, people: If you invent something for the core, it
should work for a data streaming framework. It's not just what Xine does, or
even Direct Show.

Benjamin