[gst-devel] tags and metadata

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Jan 22 08:21:01 CET 2004

El jue, 22-01-2004 a las 16:21, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de escribió:
> Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:
>
> > Quoting examples like DRM'd files is a very bad way to make your point
> > :)
> >
> That is a thing persons hacking on GStreamer tend to forget (and that Ronald
> accused me of doing often enough btw): GStreamer is about weird examples only.
> If I invent something that does work for 99% of the things we do, I'll sure as
> hell get remarks from the other 1% of people that can't use this. So if you
> advertise the "artist" entry as always editable, you'll get flocked by the
> people that wrote the 'drmdec' element and the people that assumed it worked
> for wma, too even though we don't have a tag changer there.

I agree, and I never said artist should always be editable.
*HOWEVER*, when presenting this in a UI, I've been told that yes,
artist, title, and similar info should be presented as if it were, and
when it's not (which it isn't because GStreamer doesn't allow it to be
editable :)) it should be greyed out.  It's a matter of presentation.

> The same goes about your streaminfo/metadata distinction. All your examples
> are for audio files only. This has to work for audio streams, video files,
> video streams, DVDs, file compression, gst-sci or the file sharing client I
> still plan to write using GStreamer. (This does not say such a distinction is
> bad, it just says don't impklement it prematurely with the audio goggles on.)

The alternative, to not implement it at all, is just as bad.  At the end
of the day, we have to fix regressions and this was one of them.  I
don't mind at all if people are working on the Big Picture, but it
shouldn't mean I have to wait for it to arrive if parts of it were
already there.

> Please keep this in mind, people: If you invent something for the core, it
> should work for a data streaming framework. It's not just what Xine does, or
> even Direct Show.

I agree. Which is why I feel uncomfortable with the current tagging
system - I don't think stuff like replaygain tags should be in the core,
and I'm going to look at moving them to the audio support lib without
losing functionality.  But I try to play ball with what is available.

Thomas

Don't you see that my heart's on fire
wicked wings that you spread round me sometimes
All I know is we've got to aim higher
Babe I wish that we'd go for the great escape