[gst-devel] tags and metadata

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Jan 22 08:17:02 CET 2004

El jue, 22-01-2004 a las 16:26, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de escribió:
> Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:
>
> > suppose I could get this done this week, is there any reason we would
> > really want to subject ourselves to a lot of pain by waiting for another
> > cycle to get this in ? It's a fairly small change to a system that's
> > already fairly well evolved.  It's kind of annoying if we had something
> > in 0.6, then something new in 0.8, and only really useful in 0.10
> >
> I still don't get what the distinction between metadata and streaminfo gives
> you. Since it does not mean one is editable and the other is not.

I made the distinction based on something else.  Metadata is data about
the underlying concept that the file represents; author, title, and so
on.  Streaminfo is data about the encoded format.

I did give some rules of thumb or ways to separate one from the other.
For example, if the same music was recorded as an ogg and not an mp3,
the metadata would still be the same, but the streaminfo wouldn't be.

In theory, the metadata stays the same even if it's on cassette tape or
CD.

Now, the way users typically see the difference is that they expect
tools to allow them to change artist, title, and so on.  Ie, what I
called metadata.

That doesn't mean I ever claimed that the distinction between streaminfo
and metadata is whether it's editable or not.  For me, the line is very
simple:  one is data about the concept of the audio regardless of the
medium that it's stored in, and the other is data about the way the
audio is stored.

Thomas

and it's moving so fast
slow down honey