[gst-devel] tags and metadata

in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Jan 22 08:51:03 CET 2004

Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:
> Now, the way users typically see the difference is that they expect
> tools to allow them to change artist, title, and so on.  Ie, what I
> called metadata.

You know what sounds easiest to me?
put a gchar* metadata[] = {GST_TAG_TITLE, GST_TAG_ARTIST, ...., NULL} in
nautilus-media and use those things as metadata. Let the user only change
those settings and present the other stuff as streaminfo. You probably need to
do a list of tags you display for streaminfo, too, because it'll be quite
confusing to users if they get listed every supported tag GStreamer spits
out...

> For me, the line is very simple:  one is data about the concept of
> the audio regardless of the medium that it's stored in, and the other
> is data about the way the audio is stored.

And this gives you what benefit apart from having the difference?

BEnjamin