[gst-devel] tags and metadata

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Jan 23 04:50:03 CET 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Mathrick wrote:

> For me it sounds almost identical as Thomas' registry proposal, with the
> added bonus of registry not being one-off hack, and being easily
> extendable.

... and the negative side effect of requiring every plugin to play by the
rules set in stone there. If you could provide a proerty only as the other
thing, you're hosed.

> Gives you possibility to differentiate _format_ properties from _media_
> properties, which should be presented differently. For example grouping
> files by metadata by default instead of grouping by streaminfo seems
> reasonable thing to do (although one can easily put up case when it
> would be convenient to be done by streaminfo, so that shouldn't be set
> in stone).

I still think there are cases where streaminfo might be metadata or the
other way round. This would give you stuff like bitrates in different
groups, and I don't think you want that.

What you really want is to group them yourself so you're sure they don't
change position...

> Also, to bring back editable vs. noneditable issue, app _may_ try
> setting Artist (metadata), and maybe error out if that's not possible
> for whatever reason, while it is obvious it shouldn't even bother trying
> to set bitrate (streaminfo). So Artist would be shown as an entry box,
> possibly greyed out, and bitrate as a label.

What about adjusting/setting the id3 length tag?

Benjamin

PS: I don't really object to adding this if you all think it's dead easy.
But in that case I want a definition of how it must be done.