[gst-devel] tags and metadata

Mathrick mnews2 at wp.pl
Thu Jan 22 09:25:01 CET 2004

W liście z czw, 22-01-2004, godz. 17:50, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
pisze:
> Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:
> > Now, the way users typically see the difference is that they expect
> > tools to allow them to change artist, title, and so on.  Ie, what I
> > called metadata.
> >
> You know what sounds easiest to me?
> put a gchar* metadata[] = {GST_TAG_TITLE, GST_TAG_ARTIST, ...., NULL} in
> nautilus-media and use those things as metadata. Let the user only change
> those settings and present the other stuff as streaminfo. You probably need to
> do a list of tags you display for streaminfo, too, because it'll be quite
> confusing to users if they get listed every supported tag GStreamer spits
> out...

For me it sounds almost identical as Thomas' registry proposal, with the
added bonus of registry not being one-off hack, and being easily
extendable.

> > For me, the line is very simple:  one is data about the concept of
> > the audio regardless of the medium that it's stored in, and the other
> > is data about the way the audio is stored.
> >
> And this gives you what benefit apart from having the difference?

Gives you possibility to differentiate _format_ properties from _media_
properties, which should be presented differently. For example grouping
files by metadata by default instead of grouping by streaminfo seems
reasonable thing to do (although one can easily put up case when it
would be convenient to be done by streaminfo, so that shouldn't be set
in stone).
Also, to bring back editable vs. noneditable issue, app _may_ try
setting Artist (metadata), and maybe error out if that's not possible
for whatever reason, while it is obvious it shouldn't even bother trying
to set bitrate (streaminfo). So Artist would be shown as an entry box,
possibly greyed out, and bitrate as a label.

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"
   Maciej Katafiasz <mnews2 at wp.pl>