[gst-devel] Totem, Gst-Player, libgstplay showstoppers

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Jan 27 02:54:02 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 23:24, Mathrick wrote:
> W liście z pon, 26-01-2004, godz. 16:58, Julien MOUTTE pisze:
> > 4) Informations about codecs. xine provides the app developer with some
> > informations about video/audio codecs. I need to get those informations
> > from gstplay pipeline to compete with them.
> What exactly do you mean by 'codecs'? Decoder elems used? Mime type of
> video / audio? Something else?

Name of the codec, bitrate. Basically streaminfo plus some more.

I've had some ideas for this but I doubt that this will be finished
before Gnome-2.6. I wanted to create a simple way for an element to
register a 'human readable name' with a mimetype. That way, each demuxer
doesn't need to provide this list itself, but can get it from other
elements. For AVI, this'd mean that if the STRN tag is available, we use
that for the stream name, and else (or together with this), we use the
name of the codec that belongs to the mimetype that we identified.

Anyway, this is a vague idea and I don't have any code yet. However, I
could use it in muxers in the same way to write a proper streamname tag
(like STRN in AVI, etc.) without needing any code duplication in muxers.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer