[gst-devel] Totem, Gst-Player, libgstplay showstoppers

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Jan 27 04:02:03 CET 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 23:24, Mathrick wrote:
> > W liście z pon, 26-01-2004, godz. 16:58, Julien MOUTTE pisze:
> > > 4) Informations about codecs. xine provides the app developer with some
> > > informations about video/audio codecs. I need to get those informations
> > > from gstplay pipeline to compete with them.
> > What exactly do you mean by 'codecs'? Decoder elems used? Mime type of
> > video / audio? Something else?
>
> Name of the codec, bitrate. Basically streaminfo plus some more.
>
> I've had some ideas for this but I doubt that this will be finished
> before Gnome-2.6. I wanted to create a simple way for an element to
> register a 'human readable name' with a mimetype. That way, each demuxer
> doesn't need to provide this list itself, but can get it from other
> elements. For AVI, this'd mean that if the STRN tag is available, we use
> that for the stream name, and else (or together with this), we use the
> name of the codec that belongs to the mimetype that we identified.
>
> Anyway, this is a vague idea and I don't have any code yet. However, I
> could use it in muxers in the same way to write a proper streamname tag
> (like STRN in AVI, etc.) without needing any code duplication in muxers.

An idea I had once was to force registration of mimetypes and then
only allow caps with a registered mimetype - like it's done now with caps.
You could then add functions to those registrations like
- gchar *get_human_readable_string (caps);
should be kinda selfexplanatory. Would return stuff like "16bit signed
integer audio", "MPEG2 video" or "video format in RGB colorspace" (for
unfixed RGB)
- GstCaps *default_fixate (const GstCaps *caps);
A default fixation function, so we don't fixate to minimum integer
anymore but have the ability to fixate to 320x240 for video or 44100 for
audio rates
- gboolean validate (const GstCaps *caps);
check if the given caps are ok for this mimetype - debugging only function
I'd _really_ like to have - especially during gst_register.

But that's 0.10 material.

Benjamin