[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] company gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/gst/

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Jul 2 02:43:11 CEST 2004

Hi,

> check that pads that get linked belong to the same manager. The old
> code allowed linking elements before putting them into bins, so it
> worked to link them and then put them in different threads, which
> lead to weird behaviour.
> Since this effectively disallows linking elements before putting
> them in a bin, some applications might not work after this and error
> out. If these applications are too critical, we might need to revert
> that patch. Please test this before the next release...

Hm,
while I agree that it's a problem I don't think this is a change we can
make in the 0.8 series at all.  It breaks apps that aren't doing
anything wrong to make a point to apps that are doing it wrong.

Isn't there some better way this can be checked, like checking this in
the scheduler when going to PLAYING ?

If not, the patch should IMO still be reverted and kept for 0.9.

Thomas

Sometimes I wish I was you
so I'd know how it feels
to have me inside of you