[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] company gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/gst/

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Fri Jul 2 05:44:01 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 11:42 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > check that pads that get linked belong to the same manager. The old
> > code allowed linking elements before putting them into bins, so it
> > worked to link them and then put them in different threads, which
> > lead to weird behaviour.
> > Since this effectively disallows linking elements before putting
> > them in a bin, some applications might not work after this and error
> > out. If these applications are too critical, we might need to revert
> > that patch. Please test this before the next release...
>
> Hm,
> while I agree that it's a problem I don't think this is a change we can
> make in the 0.8 series at all.  It breaks apps that aren't doing
> anything wrong to make a point to apps that are doing it wrong.

I'd like to echo this. Soundscrape relies on linking elements outside of
bins. Aside from the fact that it would be difficult to implement it any
other way, the change breaks apps in a stable series. These checks are
scheduling checks, and as such should probably be done by the scheduler.
In any case, please revert :-)

Cheers,
--
Andy Wingo <wingo at pobox.com>