[gst-devel] DVB Filter

Stéphane LOEUILLET stephane.loeuillet at tiscali.fr
Fri Jul 2 17:37:10 CEST 2004

hi,

>  i've been wondering if
> there are any plans to write some sort
> of DVB input/demux/tuning filter. If i understood GStreamer correctly,
> that should be possibly, shouldn't it?

i'd love to have a program like ProgDVB (the one i use under Windows, which
accepts all sorts of plugins ...) with a PVR feature, which makes the point
of using GStreamer for this.

actually, the only "done" part of this work is that full hardware cards
(those that have a hardware mpeg2 decoder) also export a v4l device, so,
v4l[2]src could be used for input.

of course, it is far from a full solution. what's missing :

3 tunner modules :
 DVB-S beeing the most difficult to do because of DISECQ, transponders,
satelites, polarity, frequency, channel bandwidth, ...
 DVB-T & DVB-C should be more like v4l2tunner

a native DVB (not via v4lX)/mpeg2 input plugin, to handle the cards without
hardware decoder and when only writing the stream to disk (no
visualisations, perhaps transcoding before writing)

we'll see for EPG and other fancy once all this is done (won't be in one
day)

it's true that VDR is a huge beast and it does not handle the case of a
simple DVB/TV player. it looks like it has a quite large community around
but perhaps it is mainly because there isn't anything else to watch DVB
under Linux ?!

Zaherm could be interrested too in this kind of project, i'll let it speak
about it

++