[gst-devel] DVB Filter

Sebastian Hartte Sebastian at Hartte.de
Sat Jul 3 09:03:03 CEST 2004

Stéphane LOEUILLET wrote:

>hi,
>

>> i've been wondering if
>>there are any plans to write some sort
>>of DVB input/demux/tuning filter. If i understood GStreamer correctly,
>>that should be possibly, shouldn't it?
>>

> <>
> i'd love to have a program like ProgDVB (the one i use under Windows,
> which
> accepts all sorts of plugins ...) with a PVR feature, which makes the
> point
> of using GStreamer for this.
>
> actually, the only "done" part of this work is that full hardware cards
> (those that have a hardware mpeg2 decoder) also export a v4l device, so,
> v4l[2]src could be used for input.
>
> of course, it is far from a full solution. what's missing :
>
> 3 tunner modules :
> DVB-S beeing the most difficult to do because of DISECQ, transponders,
> satelites, polarity, frequency, channel bandwidth, ...
> DVB-T & DVB-C should be more like v4l2tunner

> <>a native DVB (not via v4lX)/mpeg2 input plugin, to handle the cards
> without
> hardware decoder and when only writing the stream to disk (no
> visualisations, perhaps transcoding before writing)

This won't be neccesary. The 2.6.x kernel series already has native
support for dvb cards. You have
several devices in /dev/adapterX.
Take a look at this:
http://www.linuxtv.org/developer/dvbapi.xml
http://www.linuxtv.org/developer/dvbapi/dvbapi.html

Seems pretty complete to me. In the end the job would be to write
several gstreamer plugins that
serve as a wrapper and interface to those device files. If that work is
done, the TV application
only needs to interface with those components and *that* would make
writing a TV app for both
v4l and dvb very very easy if gstreamer is used.

Problem is: i don't know anything about writing such plugins. Maybe i
should just get some documentation
and try around a little hehe.

>we'll see for EPG and other fancy once all this is done (won't be in one
>day)

EPG should be pretty easy either. Once you got the demux for the
transport stream working (not quite sure
yet, but it seems like the DVB api is already supporting it) you simply
have to grab one PID for the EPG and
parse it. The format was quite easy IIRC.

>it's true that VDR is a huge beast and it does not handle the case of a
>simple DVB/TV player. it looks like it has a quite large community around
>but perhaps it is mainly because there isn't anything else to watch DVB
>under Linux ?!

Well there is xine for example and xawtv. But those aren't using
gstreamer and both aren't really
appealing.

cu,
Storm