[gst-devel] playbin testing

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 13:59:03 CEST 2004

--- Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org> wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> > I'm not sure how FLAC is implemented in gstreamer, but the
> > next FLAC release will have seeking implemented for Ogg FLAC
> > (i.e. there are now seekable stream and file decoder and encoder
> > APIs in libOggFLAC).  It's already in CVS.
>
> I'm not sure myself how the Ogg+FLAC integration works.  Is the FLAC
> stream inside an Ogg exactly the same as a standalone FLAC stream ?
>
> In GStreamer, the ogg demuxer just spits out the buffers for FLAC to
> decode.  The actual decoding element is linked to libflac only.
>
> If the stream inside the ogg is the same as standalone, this should
> work
> and we probably have some bugs to fix.  If they're not the same, I
> guess
> our only option is to create a second plugin linked to libOggFLAC
> instead ?

The stream inside should be the same.  Each FLAC frame or
metadata block becomes one Ogg packet.  At least that's the
way it's supposed to be; I have made some changes in the
bitstream mapping for the next release now that I understand
Ogg a little better.

If you are doing Ogg and FLAC decoding in separate layers,
you should be able to directly send data unpacked from Ogg
down into libFLAC.  You will have to do seeking yourself then
though.

To sum up, I can't guarantee that the problem with Ogg FLAC
in gstreamer is not the fault of a bad bitstream mapping in
FLAC 1.1.0.  But the next release should have all this worked
out.

Josh