[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] wtay gst-plugins: gst-plugins/ gst-plugins/gst-libs/gst/video/

Jan Schmidt thaytan at mad.scientist.com
Sat Jul 17 16:51:01 CEST 2004

<quote who="Ronald Bultje">
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > Quoting Ronald Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>:
> > >
> > > Yes, that's the current way. The good thing is that RGB readers can still
> > > read RGBA and just discard the alpha-channel, so having the same mimetype
> > > would make sense in a way. But it's suboptimal in another way, too. I
> > > personally didn't really bother thinking too much about this because I
> > > don't see too many RGBA videos nowadays.
> > >
> > The main reason for using a different mimetype is that it might result in
> > issues when you link a sink element that requires an alpha channel with a
> > source element that doesn't know about alpha channels. That way an alpha
> > channel will be negotiated and the sink element will pretend to use it, while
> > the source element fills the alpha bytes with random garbage.
>
> That can never happen. The sink element has the alpha_mask property in its
> pad template, and thus the source element's source pad is *required* to
> explicitely contain an alpha_mask property in its negotiation caps. If it
> doesn't, caps negotiation fails and that's exactly what *should* happen.
>
> The other way around works fine too: if the source element does contain an
> alpha_mask but the sink element doesn't use it, it just ignores this
> property and thereby the alpha_mask.

Barring elements which are buggy and simply proxy the caps-with-alpha across
to their src pads and claim to be supplying an alpha channel when they're
really only copying the RGB channels.

J.
Jan Schmidt                                  thaytan at mad.scientist.com

Pants Pants Pants Pants Pants Pants Pants Pants.
Lovely Pants, wonderful Pa-ants.
Lovely Pants, wonderful Pa-ants.
(Shut up! Bloody Vikings.)