[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] wtay gst-plugins: gst-plugins/ gst-plugins/gst-libs/gst/video/

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Jul 26 04:02:01 CEST 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> Hm, is that what we want? Can you explain in non-code (i.e. from a
> logical point of view) why that would be the expected behaviour?  I
> always considered the existing behaviour (or, well, what I thought was
> current) to be rather logical.
> Ronald

For the best reasons about why this has been removed, you should probably
poke David, but there are some reasons I can come up with:
1) It's kind of a quirk. A user using GStreamer for the first
time will probably not expect this.
2) It does not really make sense for filtercaps.
3) It was part of gst_caps_intersect, where it definitely does not belong.
gst_caps_intersect should be symmetrical.
4) It does solve issues while it raises others. Adding pixel-aspect-ratio
would not be possible for example if that behaviour still existed, because
you could never have a source plugin without PAR and a sink plugin with
PAR that way.

I'm sure there are better reasons though.

Benjamin