[gst-devel] OGM support for oggdemux

David Voit david.voit at weihenstephan.org
Sun Jul 18 06:58:02 CEST 2004

Am So, den 04.07.2004 schrieb Ronald S. Bultje um 18:10:
Hi,

> Sun, 2004-07-04 at 17:53, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > I don't like that patch, for a simple reason: I intend oggdemux to
stay agnostic
> > of the contents and get caps information and so on via typefinding
and external
> > elements.
>
> Is Ogg any different from OGM? As in, are the streams somewhat
> different? If so, you could make a separate ogmdemux element that is a
> subclass of oggdemux, and have that specifically handle OGM, while
> oggdemux keeps handling Ogg only.
>
> If not, I'm affraid we have no solution for this problem and I'm
affraid
> we'll have to apply the patch anyway; I don't think you can typefind
the
> OGM-supported codecs, can you...
>
> Ronald

Ogg and Ogm are the same. The only difference is a header for any non
"native ogg stream" (vorbis, speex, theora).

You can typefind it, but this semse to me a ugly way. This header
belongs in a ogm plugin as it is only used there. The typefinding works
fine for vorbis, speex and theora because these media types take the
header with them. With other types this don't work in generall as these
save the type in the container.

So we have 2 solutions:
-Patch oggdemux and parse the ogm header in there
-Add a ogm spefic parsing in the typefind plugin which should be used
universal (UGLY :) )

ps.: Sorry for the bad english i can't do it better :)

David