[gst-devel] gstreamer manual split up

Stefan Kost kost at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Mon Jul 19 03:36:01 CEST 2004

hi all,

you all know that the "Application Development Manual" and the "Plugin Writer's
Guide" contain redundant information and that this makes them hard to maintain.

I though about this a little and here come a proposal, for which I am
volunteering to make the changes.

What audience for documentation do we have?
users: not really (probably just gst-register, for which we have a man-page)
developers : YES!, but with different interests
  core-developers : would like to work on gstreamer internals
  plugin-writers : would like to write on plugins (surprising)
  application developers: build apps that use gstreamer

Therefore I would like to rename the "Application Development Manual" into
"GStreamer Architecture Manual" or
"GStreamer Core Manual" or
"GStreamer Architecture Guide" or
 ... (suggestions welcome)
and concentrate all the information about elemnts, pipelines, schedulers,
dparams, ... there.
The PWG will the reference theses parts when neccesary (so it will e.g. describe
how to add dparams to a plugin, but not what they are).
Finally we add a new documents called "Application Developer Guide" (ADG) that
focues on using gstreamer (e.g. setting up pipelines, using dparams, ...).

On the website I recommed listing them excatly in this order (probably moving
the FAQ down, so that it comes after the new ADG).

Any pros, cons, ideas, ...?

Ciao
  Stefan
--