[gst-devel] gstreamer manual split up

Ronald S. Bultje R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Mon Jul 19 15:12:00 CEST 2004

Hi Stefan,

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 12:34, Stefan Kost wrote:
> you all know that the "Application Development Manual" and the "Plugin Writer's
> Guide" contain redundant information and that this makes them hard to maintain.
[..]
> Therefore I would like to rename the "Application Development Manual" into
> "GStreamer Architecture Manual" or
> "GStreamer Core Manual" or
> "GStreamer Architecture Guide" or
>  ... (suggestions welcome)
> and concentrate all the information about elemnts, pipelines, schedulers,
> dparams, ... there.
> Finally we add a new documents called "Application Developer Guide" (ADG) that
> focues on using gstreamer (e.g. setting up pipelines, using dparams, ...).

I'm not sure this is a good plan. You're basically saying "we have an X
document, so let's rename X to Y and create a new X document". I'm not
sure if we need a core manual. If we do, then we'd need to write that
newly.

The appdevman and pwg are separate entities on their own and require no
previous knowledge. I think that's something that we should be very
happy with and very proud of, even though the appdevman is currently
outdated. Let's not throw that away.

I'd rather have someone update the appdevman. There's indeed some
redundant information in the pwg and appdevman, but that's not bad. They
have different focusses, and explain things in different ways. That's
not bad at all.

Ronald