[gst-devel] Support for win32 binaries in gstreamer

Ronald S. Bultje R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Tue Jul 20 14:02:09 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 20:53, Louis Garcia wrote:
> I am currently using xine with totem front end. Xine is able to use
> windows binary codecs in /usr/lib/win32 for things like wmv9 and
> realvideo. Are there any plans for this support in gstreamer?

Through the xine plugin in GStreamer.

As for a direct plugin: no. Wasted effort.
* not shippable in distributions or GNOME (or KDE, for that matter).
* a hell to set up.
* I'd rather have opensource codec implementations (dream on, Ronald).
* as for Real, there's closed-source Linux codecs. I'd love for Real to
change opinions and finally get a f*cking clue about their "we love the
opensource world" bullshit and actually proof it by opensourcing it or,
if that appears impossible, granting us the rights to link to it.

If someone else does it, I'm sure you'll find someone with CVS commit
access that will commit your patch. It won't be me, though.

Ronald