[gst-devel] Support for win32 binaries in gstreamer

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Jul 20 15:02:06 CEST 2004

Hi,

> * I'd rather have opensource codec implementations (dream on, Ronald).
> * as for Real, there's closed-source Linux codecs. I'd love for Real to
> change opinions and finally get a f*cking clue about their "we love the
> opensource world" bullshit and actually proof it by opensourcing it or,
> if that appears impossible, granting us the rights to link to it.

Real doesn't actually make codecs themselves.  They license codec
technology from third parties like Sony or Intel then change some bits
and put on some polish.

As such they can't - or claim they can't - opensource these codecs since
they're not the ones who made the codecs.

Stay tuned over the next year for updates :)

Thomas

The girl that I could never hurt
had to go and lose all that power over me
and I claimed victory