[gst-devel] plugin maintainership issues

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Jul 22 16:20:17 CEST 2004

Hi,

> I assume you're talking about my recent commit to ximagesink.  I
> appreciate your concern, but it's really quite misplaced, as I'm
> not an idiot, and you know I'm not an idiot.

yours is only one.  And yes, I know you're not an idiot :) As you've
noticed I haven't commented on the correctness of any of the patches, as
I don't know and don't care.

I'd like our current maintainer of the two plugins, who is tired of
having this happen, not to give up, because he doesn't see why he would
try to maintain it if nobody respects his wishes as a maintainer.

> If you are really interested, there were several reasons I didn't
> check in the fix to xvimagesink as well.  One is that I could not
> test xvimagesink in the time available, and I when I did test it,
> I noticed several other bugs.  The other reason is that I had
> other changes pending in xvimagesink (caps preferences) and only
> noticed it as I was checking in.  (So I skipped it.)  The fix
> is still pending locally.

The issue I'm bringing up is not about whether or not the fixes are
correct.  The issue I'm bringing up is "the maintainer has asked to
please assign bugs to him or let him fix stuff if you don't care enough
about keeping the two files in sync".

> I could bring up the question again of why there is identical code
> in both plugins, but I actually do trust people to Do The Right
> Thing in the end, and don't feel the need to pester.

Me too - I also think parts of the code should come from the same file,
but I trust Julien to maintain the plugins properly.  If you don't agree
with how he maintains them then please do bring it up, but it's a
different issue than respecting the maintainer's wishes on the few
plugins that can actually be said to have one :)

I know none of us really wants to see a maintainer that is doing his job
well stop doing his job because he's not respected for the job he does.

Thomas

If you go
go for good
don't fucking joke