[gst-devel] plugin maintainership issues

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu Jul 22 14:38:11 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:40:29AM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> lately some people have commited stuff to either ximagesink or
> xvimagesink.  A lot of times these commits only change one of the two
> when the respective fix should also be done for the other.  Julien has
> asked before to either
> a) fix it properly in both
> b) file the bug, assign the bug to him, and let him work it out.
>
> I think both are possible, so people should really stop doing c) go
> ahead and change only one of the two anyway.

I assume you're talking about my recent commit to ximagesink.  I
appreciate your concern, but it's really quite misplaced, as I'm
not an idiot, and you know I'm not an idiot.

If you are really interested, there were several reasons I didn't
check in the fix to xvimagesink as well.  One is that I could not
test xvimagesink in the time available, and I when I did test it,
I noticed several other bugs.  The other reason is that I had
other changes pending in xvimagesink (caps preferences) and only
noticed it as I was checking in.  (So I skipped it.)  The fix
is still pending locally.

I could bring up the question again of why there is identical code
in both plugins, but I actually do trust people to Do The Right
Thing in the end, and don't feel the need to pester.

dave...