[gst-devel] Support for win32 binaries in gstreamer

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Sun Jul 25 09:24:02 CEST 2004

Quoting "Ronald S. Bultje" <R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 20:53, Louis Garcia wrote:
> > I am currently using xine with totem front end. Xine is able to use
> > windows binary codecs in /usr/lib/win32 for things like wmv9 and
> > realvideo. Are there any plans for this support in gstreamer?
>
> Through the xine plugin in GStreamer.

Not any time soon. Xine has a lot of hacks inside itself and supporting all
these correctly is quite a bit of work. Unless someone gets very motivated to
hack on xine wrapping, the codec wrapping will be quite hard to get working.
(FWIW, Inputs/outputs is a lot easier to wrap.)

The real reason it hasn't been done is that the GStreamer develoeprs all don't
like fiddeling with emulations of OS environments for closed source libraries
(or short: win32 DLLs and their loaders). If someone steps up and wants to
maintain plugins for them, I'll gladly add them to our plugins.
Noone has shown up yet for that task though.

Benjamin