[gst-devel] stride

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Jul 26 03:51:02 CEST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> > > We can, it's compatible. Thomas is correct there.
> > >
> > I'll believe you when this pipeline fails:
> > gst-launch videotestsrc ! video/x-raw-rgb, rowstride=1000000 ! fakesink
>
> I must be missing something here - either too much context snipped or
> I'm too dumb.  What would you believe when this pipeline fails, and for
> what reason ? Let me know so I can continue working on it.

When that pipeline listed above fails with gst-plugins 0.8.2, I'll
consider adding rowstride to the caps an ABI compatible addition.
The reason is simple: videotestsrc in 0.8.2 does not honour rowstride, so
a rowstride of 1000000 would be invalid and videotestsrc would have to
fail, because it cannot provide such data.

(The same thing goes for pixel-aspect-ratio btw, but PAR is not that
critical, because it doesn't make incompatible plugins read/write
unallocated memory.)

Benjamin