[gst-devel] stride

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Jul 26 04:02:20 CEST 2004

Hi,

> > I must be missing something here - either too much context snipped or
> > I'm too dumb.  What would you believe when this pipeline fails, and for
> > what reason ? Let me know so I can continue working on it.
> >
> When that pipeline listed above fails with gst-plugins 0.8.2, I'll
> consider adding rowstride to the caps an ABI compatible addition.
> The reason is simple: videotestsrc in 0.8.2 does not honour rowstride, so
> a rowstride of 1000000 would be invalid and videotestsrc would have to
> fail, because it cannot provide such data.

Ah, in that sense.  But that's just a case of fixing videotestsrc to
either a) only allow the rowstride values it's generating or b) make it
respect the rowstride given in caps would fix it no ? Because that's
what I was doing locally.

> (The same thing goes for pixel-aspect-ratio btw, but PAR is not that
> critical, because it doesn't make incompatible plugins read/write
> unallocated memory.)

Yeah, agreed.

Thomas

I could do so much harm
I could do you no good
I'll leave a stain in your heart I would