[gst-devel] completing the API docs

Stefan Kost kost at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Mon Jul 26 05:20:09 CEST 2004

Hi Ronald,

Bultje, R.S. wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> GST_PAD_CONNECT_DELAYED
> GST_PAD_CONNECT_DONE
> GST_PAD_CONNECT_OK
> GST_PAD_CONNECT_REFUSED
> gst_element_connect
> gst_element_connect_filtered
> gst_element_connect_many
> gst_element_connect_pads
> gst_element_disconnect
These are in gstcompat.h. And we have a respective section gstcompat in
gstreamer-sections.txt. Now the question to all is, do we wnat to document these
symbols.
a) yes, but in all comments, we tell that thiese things are deprecated.
b) no, we remove the gstcompat section

IMHO it makes no sense to have them in the docs without meaningful comments
attached. If we get to some conclusion, I'll add a section to docs/README about
how to handle deprecated stuff.

> Should not be documented, they're obsolete. Everything's called s/connect/link/ now.
>
> Can you explain me how to add gtk-doc symbol documentation to macros or variables? I can document quite a few of them (*_READ_*, *_WRITE_*, gst_value_*, etc.).

You can add the documentation comment nearly everywhere, but it makes sense to
put it right above the definition of the symbol. The comment should start with
'/**' and the next line must have the symbol followed by a colon. Further you
need to put one blank line before the long description.

/**
 * GST_MACRO_EXAMPLE:
 *
 * This macro can be used to blabla bla.