[gst-devel] multifilesink and proposal to merge it with filesink

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Jul 30 02:34:14 CEST 2004

Hi,

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > > It's that simple.  Either remove multifilesrc or add in multifilesink.
> > > If you don't agree, provide arguments against this.
> >
> > The two are completely unrelated. They have completely different purposes.
> > Don't compare them, it makes us think that multifilesrc ! multifilesink is
> > a multifile copier; it is _NOT_.
>
> Just to make it clear: multifilesink does *NOT* write a new file for each
> buffer. If it did that, I'd like it in gst-core. This one does something
> completely different, it writes new files at specific times on
> application-defined conditions.

I've asked zaheer what you actually mean.  So the whole
argument/difference is around whether one file of multifilesrc should be
one buffer, and same for multifilesink ?  And Zaheer feels it should be
using newmedia ?

Can I ask why it's a good idea at all to pretend that one file becomes
one buffer, and limit ourselves internally this way ?

Thomas

I know everybody here wants you
I know everybody here thinks he needs you
And I'll be waiting right here just to show you
how our love will blow it all away