[gst-devel] multifilesink and proposal to merge it with filesink

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Jul 30 10:41:12 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 19:34, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > Can I ask why it's a good idea at all to pretend that one file becomes
> > one buffer, and limit ourselves internally this way ?
>
> Image-to-video. ffmpeg -i jpg, jpeg2yuv, everything. This is extremely
> useful for still inserts in DVDs, SVCDs, photo-VCDs and the like. Any
> multimedia toolset has such a tool. If you don't understand its use, then
> you've probably never looked at DVDs and the like. Anyway, I definately
> see its use.

The issue I'm asking about is not this.  Of course I understand why it's
useful to extract frames from a video and store them one frame per file.

The question I'm asking is, why does the implementation on the GStreamer
level have to limit you to "one-buffer-per-file" ? Why not use the
NEW_MEDIA concept we have already to make this explicit ? That way your
very limited use case doesn't tie down GStreamer to an implicit concept
of "1 buffer = 1 file".

For example, if it's audio, and you want to store one second of audio in
each file - what do you do ? create buffers of one second ?
If you want to record raw video, but in files of maximum 1 GB in size,
what do you do ? Send buffers of 1 GB ?

That's what I'm asking about.  Not whether or not it makes sense to
split a video file in a bunch of frames :)

Thomas

If you ain’t there
ain’t nobody else to impress