[gst-devel] libtool requirements

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Jun 7 05:40:06 CEST 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> I don't think we should do this.  Upping requirements on cvs build tools
> is always a cost/benefit assessment, ie "does the benefit of upping
> outweigh the pain of a whole bunch of people and the slew of questions
> of "why doesn't this tool pick up that/give me errors/...".
>
> In this particular case, there's very little benefit for lots of pain.
> Anyone who is running autogen.sh on arm can raise their hand right now
> if they disagree.

The problem is not people running autogen on ARM. Those are clever enough
to know that they require 1.5.2 to not feel lots of pain.
The problem is people building from releases that were built with a too
old tool.
So I guess it would not be a problem for people running straight from cvs
and doing their own ./autogen.sh. Would it be possible to have a minimum
required libtool version for building releases? Something like
./autogen.sh --check-tools-for-release or so.

I'd like to make sure we don't have this bug in our next tarball just
because you were ill and the person doing the releases ran autogen on FC1
or something.

And I'd like to get rid of this bug report.

Benjamin