[gst-devel] ffmpeg troubles

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Mar 2 07:24:07 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 16:07, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> (And I still don't like this gst-ffmpeg thing as a long-term solution.)

(snip) :)

> Jan, the patches are applied during make, which is why everything goes
> wrong.

> It's the first part where I'm having issues; I guess it should be done in
> the AC_FFMPEG_SLURP() macro, but I don't know much about that. I'm hoping
> for Thomas to point me in the right direction so I can fix this and we can
> release a new version.

We first need to decide whether we want
a) track upstream ffmpeg cvs in our cvs, and have our cvs be a patched
version of that (ie, we can still sync with upstream ffmpeg cvs, and
have one big patch set against that)
or
b) track upstream ffmpeg cvs, and have our cvs contain a set of patches
against that.

The first means that our cvs checkout by default has an already patched,
working, version of our version of ffmpeg.

The second means that we can split up patches easily based on
functionality (like one for autotools stuff, one for gst integration,
one for specific bug fixes) much like in quilt, then send patches
upstream from that.

The first is slightly easier but doesn't need extra tools; the second
would require us to use something like quilt for building it from CVS -
which is a small dependency.

I prefer the second, it makes us better community members :)

Also, I've always felt that the whole patching step should move to
autogen.sh - it's autogen's job to get the source tree in a state where
you can just run configure - make - make install, but the source should
already be ok.  Ie, patching should be done before configure.  In
gst-plugins this would have caused everyone killing me because it would
have forced them to rerun autogen for each change to our patchset of
ffmpeg.  So one of the reasons for moving to gst-ffmpeg was that running
autoregen.sh could be made a rule from the Makefile when the patches
change...

Thomas

When I said I understood
I only knew where to stand