[gst-devel] Ogg, Spider, and Volume not working together

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Mar 4 10:14:00 CET 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 18:29, John Thacker wrote:
> I upgraded to 0.7.5 and then again to CVS HEAD, but noticed a tremendous
> amount of static when trying to play any ogg files with rhythmbox.

did you have this on both HEAD and 0.7.5 ?

> Looking through the rhythmbox source, I noticed that it sends the stream
> through spider and volume before going to the sink.  Experimenting on
> the command line, I was able to reproduce the static with the following:
>
> gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! volume ! osssink
>
> Same results with static when I use alsasink or esdsink at the end.
>
> gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! osssink
>
> also produces static, but using alsasink or esdsink at the end sounds
> perfectly fine.

that *is* confusing.

> gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! vorbisfile ! volume ! osssink
>
> is also fine, along with any other output sink.  Also fine without volume.

hm, we were planning on deprecating vorbisfile I think (Benjamin, should
it be in 0.8 ?), but ...

> gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! oggdemux ! vorbisdec ! alsasink
>
> is also fine.  No sound if I use osssink, though, with lots of errors of
> the type:
> (process:29366): GStreamer-WARNING **: push on peer of pad vorbisdec0:src but peer is not active

It should error out before, but since vorbisdec sends out float audio,
not int, you need a convertor between vorbisdec and osssink.  I didn't
know though that alsa handled float audio.

> Trying to put volume in that path after vorbisdec produces an error:
> ** (process:29387): WARNING **: error scheduling group 0x8f45410
>
> and then the process ends abruptly, regardless of output sink.
>
> Fairly confusing to me.  What other information, if any, would be
> useful?

I'll try each of your pipelines and see about fixing the error handling
first.

Thomas