[gst-devel] Ogg, Spider, and Volume not working together

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 4 12:04:19 CET 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 07:03:47PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 18:29, John Thacker wrote:
> > I upgraded to 0.7.5 and then again to CVS HEAD, but noticed a tremendous
> > amount of static when trying to play any ogg files with rhythmbox.
>
> did you have this on both HEAD and 0.7.5 ?

Yes, both give the same error.  HEAD does eliminate the segfault after
decoding the static filled ogg, another error mentioned.  I assume
that's because you reverted Andy's commit that went in right before
0.7.5 was released.

> > Looking through the rhythmbox source, I noticed that it sends the stream
> > through spider and volume before going to the sink.  Experimenting on
> > the command line, I was able to reproduce the static with the following:
> >
> > gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! volume ! osssink
> >
> > Same results with static when I use alsasink or esdsink at the end.
> >
> > gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! osssink
> >
> > also produces static, but using alsasink or esdsink at the end sounds
> > perfectly fine.
>
> that *is* confusing.

Ah, but it works fine with osssink with

gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! audioconvert ! osssink

However, I still get static with combination that puts ! volume in,
unless using vorbisfile.

So, it looks to me like the problems include:

1) volume doesn't work with ossdemux ! vorbisdec

(I'm assuming that spider is choosing to use those over the deprecated
vorbisfile.)

2) spider is not calling audioconvert to convert the audio from float
audio to int when the output sink is osssink.

John Thacker