[gst-devel] Ogg, Spider, and Volume not working together

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Fri Mar 5 07:33:08 CET 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 03:00:57PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! volume ! osssink
>
> worked fine for me in HEAD, also had static in 0.7.5
>
> > Same results with static when I use alsasink or esdsink at the end.
> Cannot test alsasink.  esdsink worked fine in both versions for me.
>
> > gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! osssink
> >
> > also produces static, but using alsasink or esdsink at the end sounds
> > perfectly fine.
> >
> John, do all these fixes combined fix your problems, or is something
> still left now ?

Just updated to CVS and reinstalled.  Aside from the different error
messages for ! oggdemux ! vorbisdec ! osssink (which is a bad pathway
anyway, and those changes have already been disputed), I see no change.

filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! osssink
is still static.  Looks like it's still not calling audioconvert.

filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! volume ! osssink
is also still static, and also static with any other sink as well.

! oggdemux ! vorbisdec ! audioconvert ! volume ! osssink

is also still static, same with other sinks.

Now

! oggdemux ! vorbisdec ! audioconvert ! alsasink

gives incredibly odd distortion, whereas it worked fine before.

The pipeline

! oggdemux ! vorbisdec ! volume ! alsasink

just refuses to run with new messages about a state change bug.

Another weird thing I just noticed that occurs with HEAD but not
0.7.5:

All the behavior above is if I run gst-register as root, but not as
user.  (With no ~/.gstreamer-0.7/registry.xml file)
If I run gst-register as a user, it builds the user registry (and
reports twice as many plugins as when I run it as root, 220 instead
of 110).  After doing so, the other plugins seem to work, but spider
doesn't.  For example,

gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! audioconvert ! osssink

now gives the following error:

** (process:17233): CRITICAL **: how to remove plugins?

(process:17233): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: Factory for `oggdemux' has no type
Segmentation fault

Explictly stating the plugin works as before.  Deleting
~/.gstreamer-0.7/registry.xml makes spider go back to working.

This only happens in HEAD, not 0.7.5, as I just went back and tested.

John Thacker