[gst-devel] Ogg, Spider, and Volume not working together

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Mar 5 08:39:41 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 15:34, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:
>
> > I looked into why vorbisdec ! osssink doesn't just error out, and I
> > noticed the parsing code tries to unlock the sink and then sync the
> > state to that of the parent, which then of course fails.
> >
> > Benjamin, I added a check there and a GST_ELEMENT_ERROR, but I would
> > rather find some way to make the error say, before that, that the caps
> > nego failed.  Any idea how I should do that ?
> >
> If both elements can connect (they shouldn't be able to, the caps don't match,
> you should get a "Error: could not link vorbisdec0 to osssink0, trying to run
> anyway" line with gst-launch)

It's not giving that error, which is what I was trying to debug.  Out of
curiosity, why should it try to run anyway ?

> > Also, I then noticed that the rest of the pipeline happily tries to keep
> > playing, so I added some code to the error handler that tries to pause
> > the parents recursively.  If someone thinks this is a bad idea, let me
> > know.
> >
> > For now, it does what it should do; error out and stop running after
> > that.
> >
> *raises hand*
>
> It's bad enough that errors and EOS change states, I certainly don't want
> elements messing with the state of totally unrelated elements (like the whole
> pipeline).

Hm - but it is annoying that the actual problem is buried in a lot of
unrelated output.  Tell you what - if you find the right way of fixing
vorbisdec ! osssink not complaining we'll revert that patch.

Thomas

I may be qualified
for a one night stand
but I could never take the place of your man