[gst-devel] media-info, and old streaminfo tags

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Sat Mar 6 15:07:01 CET 2004

Hey Colin,

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 23:09, Colin Walters wrote:
> We had discussed the idea of adding a new state between NULL and READY.
> Perhaps INITIALIZED or CONFIGURED or something.  Another alternative
> would be to move resource acquisition to PAUSED - but that seems like a
> hack.

Resource acquisition definately shouldn't move. I don't like a new
state. What should be so special about it?

[intermezzo]
If you want to open multiple applications with your soundcard, shouldn't
you use a sound server? That's what they're there for. Esdsink works.
Is it our job (GStreamer) to hack around OSS drivers that only want to
be open(2)'ed once?
[/intermezzo]

So let's say that it *is* our job to hack around all this; do we (for
this one, little, tiny, specific case) need to re-design the whole
framework by adding new states (which I consider a huge change) or
something? I, for one, would rather have this hack then add a new state.

As said, I'll think about possible solutions, and you guys can go ahead
and add this for 0.8.0. I hope I can think of something elegant for
0.9.x. Yes, it is an issue. Yes, it needs to be solved. I don't know how
yet, and don't particularly like the proposed ways. ;).

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer