[gst-devel] media-info, and old streaminfo tags

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Mon Mar 8 13:44:09 CET 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 04:03:56PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 12:03, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > A similar one I'll be going for is to add a "release-device"
> > property on the sinks so our applications (like rhythmbox/jamboree for
> > example) do not use the silly hack that sets audiosinks to NULL, causing
> > PAUSE/PLAY not to work.
>
> How is this going to work, by the way, since the GConf key returns a
> bin?  The only way I can think of is to have a bin catch all property
> settings on it, and search its contents for elements which have that
> property.  This is obviously pretty ugly...

Search for a child element that contains the property.  We already
do this for interfaces, and properties are just mini-interfaces.
(Arguably, release-device should probably be an interface, but let's
not discuss that right now.  Maybe even merge it with the
property-probe interface into a resource-management interface...
but wait, I wasn't going to discuss it now.)

> Also, what happens when someone uses a custom sink (say filesink) that
> doesn't have a release-device property?

Presumably, if the property doesn't exist, it's not necessary.

dave...