[gst-devel] gstreamer-properties

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Mar 9 06:38:07 CET 2004

Quoting David Schleef <ds at schleef.org>:

> Um, no, it doesn't make more sense.  You can just as easily turn it
> around and say "if all sinks need audioconvert ! audioscale, it makes
> more sense to put them in the application."
>
> And, in reality, that statement is more true for audio sinks than for
> applications.  Not _all_ apps need audioconvert and audioscale,
> particularly those that use spider.

I'd like to add that there are soundcards that do MP3 or AC3 natively. Putting
audioconvert and/or audioscale in between does not allow pushing that data to
the soundcard directly.

The correct fix for this would be to create a real audiotestsrc that supports
close to any format (like videotestsrc) and not to use sinesrc, which just
does 44100kHz/1channel/S16 output.

Benjamin