[gst-devel] media-info, and old streaminfo tags

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Mar 9 12:10:12 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 12:42, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> OK.  I'll follow your lead, not add the release-device properties since
> the code is untested, and I guess we'll just see.  It is entirely
> possible that I am making this bigger than it is.  OTOH, no matter what
> the reason, users (and I'm talking about "the people that will install
> fc2 and press play in their music app) are not as forgiving as you
> think.  But, I won't bring it up again.  If application developers using
> GStreamer care, and realize these are issues, I hope they speak up, and
> if not, we'll not worry about it.

Speaking for Rhythmbox, I know we'll take flack because we don't provide
a stop button, so the only way a user has to release the device is to
close Rhythmbox.  I'm not sure about other applications, but I imagine
they're similar.

This issue was something that was mentioned surprisingly often.  Perhaps
it was just a vocal minority, I'm not sure.  On the other hand,
GStreamer 0.8 will have enough cool advancements over 0.6 (metadata,
yay!) that I think as long as application authors document it in release
notes, and we note that it's on the queue of things to fix, it won't
turn into a huge issue.

I do think we should look seriously at fixing this in some way (even if
it's a hack) in the 0.8 timeframe, after 0.8.0.