[gst-devel] How to debug the gstreamer code flow?

vishy S vishy_s1976 at yahoo.co.in
Fri Mar 12 07:41:16 CET 2004

Thomas,

Please see below inserted comments.

> >  I believe in compilation time
> > we can opt the dependent parts of Gstreamer and
> make
> > them part of media player application binary file.
>
> I'm not sure what you want to say here... parts of
> GStreamer dependant
> on what ?
> As for making them part of the binary, you can link
> to the static
> archive, but you need a good reason to do so instead
> of using dynamic
> linking.  What platform do you want to build on ?

Your second part answered my question. I was meaning
those parts of Gstreamer that are wanted by my media
player.

> > Also as i am new to Linux, I am facing lot of
> problems
> > Gstreamer installation.
>
> What distribution of Linux did you use ? What
> exactly is the problem you
> are having ?

Initially I tried with Gstreamer version 0.6.5. I
tried installing on Redhat linux 9.0. The Gstreamer
core make was giving some .la file missing that are
required by the libtool. I created them by using
commands such as,

libtool gcc -static -o libgnomevfs-2.la
libgnomevfs-2.so

Core was installed. But Plugin's ./configure was not
recognizing the Gtreamer core version 6.

Similarly vesion 7.4 was giving undefined reference
error, and the symbol mentioned was gnomegstconf (not
very sure about the corect name)

The gstreamer 0.6.4 was having similar problems like
the above on my machine as i did some installations
and make uninstalls earlier.

One of my colleague tried to install 0.6.4 on his
machine. He faced some problems, but he he was able to
overcome them as he knows about linux more. He
suggested me to do the folloing commonds before
configuring the plugins,

cp  /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gstreamer-0.6.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/

cp /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gstreamer-control-0.6.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/

I tried installing 0.6.4 (both core and plugins), on
another machine with redhad 9.0. Everything worked
fine with bunch of displays on the terminal. But when
I tried to execute examples/helloworld ./helloworld
dummy.mp3, i got the error "Unable to find the plugin
"mad". Here i would expect that this command should
invoke mp3 plugin and should error could not open the
file. Am i doing something wrong in using these
examples?

> > Als a list of all OS dependencies/packages
> required by
> >  a perticular Gstreamer version will be great
> help.
>
> For the core, only popt, libxml2 (theoretically
> optional) and glib2 are
> necessary.

But i did got errors during make asking for .la files
with 0.6.5 version.

> For the plugins, there are a lot, and configure
> tells you which.  In
> practice you should use a distribution and get
> GStreamer packages for
> that distribution, esp. if you're new to linux.

I will read all these messages. But what all the
output messages from Gstreamer are improtant for us?
This is very important aspect for, as i need to
analyse and evaluate the Gstreamer code for my
application integration.

> Good luck

Thank u, thankQ for ur help.

Regards