[gst-devel] How to debug the gstreamer code flow?

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Mar 12 02:06:06 CET 2004

Hi,

> Do you mean to say that the target system should have
> the entire Gstreamer framework code to run the
> multimedia applications?

Yes.  GStreamer is the multimedia framework, if you write an application
that uses GStreamer to do multimedia, then the complete core needs to be
present for it to work.  There are parts of GStreamer that in theory you
can compile out conditionally, but it's been some time since someone did
that.

>  I believe in compilation time
> we can opt the dependent parts of Gstreamer and make
> them part of media player application binary file.

I'm not sure what you want to say here... parts of GStreamer dependant
on what ?
As for making them part of the binary, you can link to the static
archive, but you need a good reason to do so instead of using dynamic
linking.  What platform do you want to build on ?

> Also as i am new to Linux, I am facing lot of problems
> Gstreamer installation.

What distribution of Linux did you use ? What exactly is the problem you
are having ?

> Is there are document that
> explains the correct Installation process. Readme is
> useful, but a more ellaborate documents on DOs and
> Don'ts might be useful.

There's a FAQ on the website.  Start by going through that - if things
are not clear there or missing then feel free to ask so we can improve
the FAQ for everyone.

> Als a list of all OS dependencies/packages required by
>  a perticular Gstreamer version will be great help.

For the core, only popt, libxml2 (theoretically optional) and glib2 are
necessary.

For the plugins, there are a lot, and configure tells you which.  In
practice you should use a distribution and get GStreamer packages for
that distribution, esp. if you're new to linux.

Good luck
Thomas

There's nothing I want to see
There's nowhere I want to go